Thursday, January 11, 2024

#52Ancestors 2023 Week 39 Surprise: How Grammie Learned about her first Grandchild

 My son Matthew married his wife Heather in October 2010. Of course, I always had my secret hopes that there would be grandchildren!  However, I did my best to keep my mouth shut on the subject. Nobody needs their mother/mother-in-law to suggest how they should make such a decision. 

In 2011, I was working in Boston at the time, but I came back to Maryland to celebrate the Easter holiday with my family. As it happened, my April birthday fell very close to Easter that year.  Matt and Heather called me out to the porch of my Mom's house to give me a birthday present.  

They handed me a small, wrapped package.  When I opened it, I found a photo album.  Then I noticed the tag on the front of the album: "A grandparent's world is filled with love."



I gasped when the significance struck me.  I opened the album and on the first page was the very first picture of Baby Agee, a sonogram taken April 7, 2011.  Then I started to cry.

I was so excited to know that I would be a grandmother.  I hugged Matt and Heather.  Then I ran into the kitchen to show off my wonderful birthday surprise to the rest of the family.

Henry arrived in November of that year, the beginning of my great adventure as Grammie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment