Thursday, January 5, 2023

#52 Ancestors 2023 Week 2 Favorite Photo: The Scrivener Siblings 1935

 The photo below has always been one of my favorites.  It shows my father, Frank Scrivener, with his five siblings. I think it dates from about 1935, when my father would have been ten years old, and was probably taken in Leonardtown, St. Mary's County MD where the family lived in the 1930's. (Their mother, Elizabeth Dent Scrivener, was born and raised in St. Mary's County.)  By 1940, the family was living in Baltimore. 


My dad, Frank Phillip Scrivener III, (1925) is seated at the top left.  Next to him is his brother William Boswell (Chick/Bill) Scrivener (1930).  At the top right is my aunt, the only girl among the sibs, Louise Carmelite (Reds) Scrivener (1926).  You can't see her flaming red hair in this black and white photo. All the boys were blonds or brunettes. 

In the second row is John Marshall Dent (Jack) Scrivener (1928). Next to him is Keene Gwynn Scrivener (1929).  In the front is the baby, Robert Kent (Bob) Scrivener (1933).

In 2023, as I write this, Jack and Bob are still living. 

I have a few other pictures of my dad as a child, but this is the only one with all his siblings. I wonder who was the photographer?  I'm pretty sure the Scriveners couldn't have afforded a camera during the Depression.  So, it must have been a special occasion when someone visited with a camera. 

Anyway, I think this is a delightful picture with its unique expressions of each child. You can tell that this crew must have been a handful for my grandparents to manage. 

Here is another photo of this group in 1986 with my grandmother Elizabeth Dent Scrivener, as I knew them growing up. 


Keene, Bob, Bill in the back row. Frank, Reds, Lib, and Jack in front. 

I'm glad to have that little glimpse of their childhood from a treasured picture. 




No comments:

Post a Comment