Sunday, June 4, 2023

#52 Ancestors 2023 Week 32 Reunion: Two Scrivener Reunions

When I was growing up, we lived in a large farmhouse, and since it was the largest space in the extended family, my parents would periodically host a gathering of their respective siblings, nieces and nephews.  So, I was lucky to get to know my many cousins fairly well because of our family reunions. 

I have two pictures from these gatherings of my father’s family in 1969 and 1986.

The photo below shows my Scrivener grandparents, Frank Philip Scrivener Jr. and Elizabeth Dent Scrivener with their children and their spouses. I am sure that dozens of my cousins were also there that day, but the only picture I have is this one of the adults. I notice that most of the women are wearing dresses rather than pants or shorts.



In the back row is Uncle Robert Kent (Bobby) Scrivener and his first wife, Betty Respess. Aunt Louise Carmelite (Reds) Hangarter and her husband Theodore John (T John) Hangarter (who, by the way was a cousin of future president Joe Biden.) Uncle Keene Gwynn Scrivener and his wife Olivia Boyd Raphel.

Seated: John Marshall Dent Scrivener (Uncle Jack) and his wife Betty Gavin. William Boswell Scrivener (Uncle Chick) and his wife Nan Emmerich. Pa and Ma Scrivener. Frank Philip Scrivener III (my dad) and my mom, Anne Theresa Summers Scrivener.

The second picture below is from 1986.  I think this may be the last big Scrivener reunion at my parents’ home.  My grandfather Scrivener died in 1980, and my grandmother Scrivener died a year after this gathering in 1987. Happily, all of my father’s siblings are still around for this picture.

I love all the interactions in this picture, children in arms, on laps and shoulders, arms draped casually over a sibling or spouse's shoulder.  I wonder what set everyone laughing? 


In the back row: Jeff Rogers holding his daughter Meg; Phil Scrivener; Dave Scrivener; Rob Scrivener holding his son Bryan;  Billy Scrivener; young woman with just her hair showing, possibly Teddy Hangarter’s wife, Susan Confer Hangarter; Teddy Hangarter; John Scrivener with his son Brad on his shoulders; Mark Scrivener (?); Michael Scrivener with his niece Jennifer Scrivener on his shoulder;

2nd row: Anne Marie Hinkell Scrivener; Anne Summers Scrivener; Gwynn Scrivener; Peggy Scrivener; Gwynn’s wife, Kathleen Herbert Scrivener; Betty Gavin Scrivener; Audrey Scrivener; Olivia Raphel Scrivener; T. John Hangarter; Kim Gavin Scrivener; Tammy Smith Scrivener; 

Seated: Maripat Scrivener Rogers with Vance Rogers on her lap; Frank Scrivener with Julie Rogers on his lap; Lib Scrivener; Jack Scrivener; Keene Scrivener; Reds Hangarter; Bobby Scrivener; Chick Scrivener; Nan Emmerick Scrivener; 

In front: Dan Rogers; Anne Scrivener Agee; James Agee; maybe Jack Hangarter (?); Matt Agee; Timmy Scrivener 

This was not the whole Scrivener clan in 1986.  I see that my sister Louise is not in the picture and none of Uncle Bobby's children are there.  Nevertheless, it's a pretty good representation and brings back a happy memory of time with my extended family. 


I'm sure that both of these gatherings involved cooking lots of hamburgers and hotdogs on the oil drum grill out back, and maybe some steamed crabs if we were lucky, plus intense games of pitch and poker among the adults on the patio under the shade of a gigantic maple tree. 




2 comments:

  1. It's funny, how no matter the family or the location of the reunion, our photos of reunions look similar to yours, with group photos and fun activities.

    ReplyDelete