Monday, February 18, 2019

#52 Ancestors 2019 Week 8: Family Photo Two Views of the John Kostka Summers Family

#52 Ancestors 2019  Week 8: Family Photo Two Views of the John Kostka Summers Family

I am lucky to have not one but two photographs of my great-grandparents and their family.

The first, shown below, was taken in the early 1900's, I'm guessing about 1905, judging by the approximate age of my grandfather in this picture. He was born in 1895 and I'm guessing he is about 10 years old in this picture. That's him, Paul Francis Summers, right in the middle of the picture, between his parents, the 12th of 15 children of Regina Ann Hill and John Kostka Summers.


This picture was taken in front of the family home at Westwood, Prince George's County MD.

Even more fortunate for me, between my grandmother and my mother, I was able to identify all the people in the picture.

But what makes this a real treasure is that I also have a picture of this family group taken about 25 years later at the celebration of the Summers' Golden Wedding Anniversary in October 1928.



Obviously, the family has grown in the intervening years!  But it is fascinating to be able to match up the people who appear in both photos.

For example, here are my great-grandparents in the two photos: (I love how Great-Grandfather Summers is still sporting that great mustache!)







And here is my grandfather in the two pictures:


But perhaps my very favorite image is the one of my mother, age about three, in the front row of the second picture, looking none too happy to be participating in the great occasion!

I cherish these pictures for the fascinating glimpse of my extended family, most of whom I never had the chance to meet in person. 






No comments:

Post a Comment